It goes without saying we all hire & partner with folks we trust. To take that a step further, often we even rely on friends & family for key services and, I know it’s tough to admit, but occasionally even the most trusted relationships get… well, complicated. So, since I do not want you locked out of your website and because I desperately want to avoid saying “I told you so” please do us both a huge favor and take these very simple precautions! Now I’m not professing to break any new ground here, BUT last week I did have to say “I told you so” twice.
- Set up your domain name & web hosting account yourself! No matter how good, cheap or trustworthy your web “guy” is, please make sure you have complete access to your hosting account and also your domain name registration. You may not know any of that means, or what ftp is, or why you need it but, it’s a key to getting to your website’s infrastructure. Without account control you could be stuck with an out of date or otherwise problematic website should your web person take an extended vacation from eachother. If you have your domain name & web hosting account information! You’ll have complete control!
- More than 1 admin on your Facebook page! If there’s only one and somehow that account gets banned, hacked or has password problems you’re up a creek!
- Avoid flash websites: Flash sites are difficult to get properly indexed in search, they cannot be seen by iPone & iPad users and if you ever need a different designer to work on your website, you are limited to those who are Flash savvy. Plus, when you do find that new web person it will take them even longer to get up to speed and working on your new site just because flash is THAT complicated!
Got more tips & advice for owners of business websites? Even better, got horror stories? Please share in the comments!
Top Image by Lourdes Nightingale
I<3 facebook shirt by TwitterFunny.com
- 7 Ways Linkedin.com will Improve Your Small Business
- 10 EASY Ways to Inject Twitter and Facebook into Everyday Business!
- Create your own edge! Build your own community!
Twitter & FB on front, Your logo & links on back!” src=”http://rlv.zcache.com/social_profile_business_card_tf_2_0_back_logo-p24092181286819102985h8_325.jpg” alt=”Social Profile Business Card tf 2.0 Back logo profilecard” width=”325″ height=”325″ />
Richard Bouchez is a certified Inbound Marketing professional specializing in Social Media Marketing & New Media content development. Richard’s web, audio & video work has been honored with Emmy, Promax & CBA awards.